Revise, revise, revise.
Ever feel like you revise the first chapters over and over and over again? I was practically done with my story, but I could never get past the first few chapters of my story for revising that I never actually finished my story.
Well, I finally get it.
Writing groups can be helpful, if you use them correctly. I'm still learning, remember.
I found that in revisions, you have to take two steps forward and one back. This staggered movement is what I've found will keep me moving forward with my story and getting it ready to submit by the end of the year.
First, finish your story.
Write everything you can into it. You can always cut out the extras that don't work later.
"But I..."
No, finish your story. Been there. No more excuses.
THEN, once you have finished your story, you may have others critique. Here's the process...
Turn in your chapter. (ie. chapter 1)
The group will critique.
Make any changes you feel are necessary.
THEN, turn in chapter 2.
"What? But I..."
DON'T turn in chapter 1 again. Or you will never get past it. You will always want to keep going back and changing it. It isn't perfect. I get it. Don't turn it in again until you have gone through the whole story.
(continuing on...)
The group will critique chapter 2.
Make any changes you feel are necessary.
Turn in Chapter 3... and continue this way until the end of your story.
"But I..."
UNTIL THE END OF YOUR STORY!
Read through your whole story. Make sure any obvious things are fixed.
THEN, you will turn in your WHOLE story to the group.
Chapter 1 through the end.
If you have a good group, they will check continuity, characters, development, magic systems (if any), and some grammar because they can't help it.
Now, they know the whole story and can read it like a reader. (aka: Beta Readers.)
THEN, you can make any changes you need to your whole story.
Is it going to be perfect? No. But that is the job of an editor. Get it to the best you can and turn it over to the pros. And let's face it... authors go back and read their books and talk about things that they would change. AFTER they've sold hundreds, if not thousands, of that book. So, it doesn't have to be perfect. Just compelling.
And by the time you turn it in to an editor, you'll be SICK of it. You'll be READY to start another story.
AND YOU CAN!
- The Truth According to Jennadee.
No comments:
Post a Comment