We all need it. Research, that is.
I get on the internet for my hour of writing in the morning and before I know it.. it's time for breakfast! (Mom, make us some breakfast!) Argh.
I didn't realize, until recently, the real reason I put my kids in extra curricular activities... so I can write without being distracted by the internet!
I got out my laptop, started writing, and thought, 'Oh, I need to research this.'
Surprise! I awkwardly remembered that there was no internet while I sat on the grass at the building the kids were in. Or in the car that was parked in the lot outside the dance studio.
So, I just wrote. It took a little bit to get started, and then it flowed like a dream.
it's slow a little, then flow a ton.
Sometimes it would flow like Niagara Falls! -- So fast that I'd have to bullet the scene playing over in my head so that I wouldn't forget key details.
I had to remind myself that I could go back and flesh out the paragraphs afterward - when inspiration had slowed down again.
Thank goodness for those slow time! (I never thought I'd hear myself say that. Ever.)
Also, I am constantly asking questions like, 'What's a word that sounds like weary but doesn't mean tired? More like nervous or scared.' To which my dear hubby or friend would reply, 'Oh, you mean leery.' (They don't know I'm secretly preparing them for Jeopardy... wink wink!)
*Sigh.* When I can't come up with the right word, I highlight the word in red. Then when I have time (and others are more willing to help me), I can seek their help.
(Note: a Thesaurus can only do so much, my friends...)
(Me this week)

No comments:
Post a Comment