The quote goes, "If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you."
I like my characters. And because they are mine, I feel a responsibility to protect them. So, I struggle with letting my characters suffer enough. Which, in turn, makes for a pretty dull story.
This last chapter that I turned in to my critique group, I pushed a boundary for myself. I let the struggle last a little longer. I felt good about my growth! But... after I turned it in, and had my outline epiphany, I knew that the struggle had to be a little longer. It might affect some later scenes, but only in the ways they needed to be.
I buckled. I had to do it. So, I rewrote a section and the rest flowed. So, much to my group's dismay, I re-sent the work. (Sorry guys; have I mentioned how awesome you rock?!)
Let your characters struggle. You will love who they become so much more if you do.
No comments:
Post a Comment