Before the hunter comes in and axes my bio,
I thought I'd commiserate with you on how hard it can be write a bio for a query letter.
It makes me just want to huff, and puff, and blow my computer away.
(Different fairy tale, I know.)
Advice I've received is:
"BE PROFESSIONAL, BUT LET YOURSELF SHINE THROUGH."
My blogging has always been fun and quirky. It is HARD to find a balance between that and professional. I like to lounge in my pajamas! (Think of this as my blog.) Going to work is like putting on a suit. (Think of this as being professional.)
You got it... I feel stiff and uncomfortable trying to pull this off.
"TELL ABOUT YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS, BUT DON'T GO OVERBOARD."
This part will be REALLY short. I've not been published. My bachelor's degree is not in writing. . My critique group is all unpublished. All of a sudden, I feel like my life is REALLY boring... an no one is going to care that I'm a writer.
(Which isn't true.)
"KEEP IT SHORT, BUT ENOUGH TO KNOW THEY WANT TO WORK WITH YOU.."
Here we go again on the whole keeping it short. Writers, get used to making every word count. Novels, you have at least 50k, but you have to cut out the junk and make everything flow.
Pitches, queries, and bios (OH MY! - different story, I know.), they are so much more precise.
Less words, more hook.
The only consoling information I've found is...
"AGENTS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO WANT MORE OF YOUR WORK EVEN IF YOU QUERY LETTER ISN'T THE BEST."
Phew!
Now... don't let this be an excuse. I still plan on doing my best.
AND going to conferences and paying for a pitch/query critique is another way to get great help,
making your work its best.
Here are some links that I've found to be helpful:
http://www.biotemplates.com

No comments:
Post a Comment